Health benefits of lentils
- Great plant source of iron and protein. About 1/4 cup (dry) lentils provides 13 grams of protein and 20% daily value of iron.
- Tip: Pair plant-based iron sources (non-heme iron) with vitamin C to enhance iron absorption. Examples of high vitamin C foods include broccoli, tomato, red and green peppers, oranges, and strawberries.
- High in fiber
- Tip: To ease tolerance, slowly increase fiber consumption along with increasing water intake.
- Low in fat
- Tip: Swap out or reduce the portion size of animal proteins for lentils. This will cut saturated fat content to improve overall health and weight control.
Lentil and Bean Chili Recipe
Combine in a large pot and let simmer for about 45 minutes.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup (2 medium) sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup (2 stalks) diced celery
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup (1 small) chopped zucchini
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup (1 large) diced tomato
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup black lentils
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 cup water
- 16 ounce jar of tomato sauce
*Note: The lentils do not require soaking prior to use. The lentils and beans will absorb some of the liquid from the water and tomato sauce, use larger amounts for increased liquid texture if desired.