Eating right is essential not just one day or starting tomorrow, but for a lifetime. Food provides fuel and energy for your body. Your body's cells work hard everyday to keep you alive and active, so choose to feed your body nutrients to benefit you, not cause harm. It is not about restricting foods and thinking of what you should not eat, but rather what you can eat. Choose a variety of colors from fruits and vegetables. Everything can be part of a well balanced diet in moderation.
Everyone has different taste preferences, so choose the foods that fit best for you. Working with an RD will help you find those foods that are healthy and satisfying.
Buy wholesome foods and be a part of your food preparation compared to processed foods with added chemicals. Take control over your health; know your food and where it comes from. Involve the entire family and share your recipes. It is never too young to get children involved in meal planning while learning about foods for growth.
Wednesday, March 13th, is Registered Dietitian Day. What are some of the many benefits of seeing a RD?
- RDs are food and nutrition experts who bring the science of nutrition into obtainable positive lifestyle choices.
- Improve your overall health and fight disease.
- Provide individualized therapy and maintain a healthy weight.
- Separate information about fad diets.
- Connect you to community resources to allow healthy eating to become possible.
How will I "Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day?"
- I have joined a Community Supported Agriculture farm share. Moving to a new city, I thought it would be a challenge to access affordable fresh fruits and vegetables. There are plenty of resources available and people to exchange ideas. You do not need to invest in a farm share, but just keep an eye out for local farmer markets.
Visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website for more information and finding a Registered Dietitian near you. http://www.eatright.org/nnm/