Tips for setting realistic goals:
- "I want to start exercising." How will you increase your physical activity? Start off with walking 10 minutes a day before your lunch break, 3 days a week. You can increase the length or exercise in short intervals throughout the day. Before you know it you will be walking several miles!
- 12 months is a long time to push your resolutions aside. Setting goals each month will allow you to track your progress or set new ambitions.
- Long-term changes take time. If you want to lose weight, avoid crash dieting, but rather aim for a pound a week.
- Expect challenges. If you have set the same goal every year without success, think about what is stopping this goal from being achieved.
- If one day you did not follow your diet or exercise schedule, it's ok. Small steps will be more important in the long run to make lifestyle changes; toss the "all or nothing" mindset.
Set new years resolutions that are important to you. Have your friends join to start a new positive lifestyle with you. Don't sit around waiting for tomorrow; take the time for yourself and your health today!