Enjoy this hearty vegetable soup to warm up a cold night.
Sweet Potato Red Bean Soup
- 2 15 oz cans of red beans
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green squash, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar or red wine
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Set aside in a bowl covered with water.
- Saute the garlic, onion, green pepper, black pepper and bay leaf in olive oil in an 8 quart pot.
- When the vegetables begin to soften, add the tomato sauce and beans.
- Add the green squash, spices (basil, mint, rosemary), and vinegar.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add the sweet potatoes and water. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish bowl of soup with a sprig of rosemary.